Sunday, January 25, 2009

Today's Inquirer reviews ...

... Carlin Romano on Why everyone is an artist.

Indeed, Dutton eloquently blasts reductionism, contending that "great works of music, drama, painting, or fiction set us above the very instincts that make them possible. Paradoxically it is evolution - most significantly, the evolution of imagination and intellect - that enable us to transcend our animal selves. . . ."

Pardon me, but "evolution" does nothing. The word describes a process that is, presumably, taking place. Organisms evolve. Breathing does not cause me to live. I live, therefore I breathe.

For a contrary view see: Origin Of The Specious.

I plan to run a roundup of reviews, pro and con, of this book later on.

In the meantime, Jared Bernstein on John Bogle: Old-fashioned virtues on the ledger. And that appears to be it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment