Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Strange encounter ...

... Updike and Me. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Tipler would seem to be wrong about Updike and computer technology. Roger Angell says that "Updike was probably the very first New Yorker writer to shift over to a computer, back in the early eighties."
For reference, here is Bryan's review of Tipler's The Physics of Christianity. And this seems relevant as well: The Anglican Curmudgeon on Tipler’s The Physics of Christianity.

I'm in between on all this. I don't think the existence of God can "proved." But then I don't think my existence can be, either. I don't think dialectical proof is the sole or even principal criterion for truth. On the other hand, I don't think that science and religion are entirely non-overlapping magisteria, nor do I think they are fundamentally at odds with each other. But then, I don't think reason is the sole or even principal faculty for arriving at the truth. I think that truth can be arrived at only by bringing to bear upon experience all of our faculties - reason, will, emotion, and most of all imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment