Monday, June 29, 2009

Another query ...


I have posted this picture before. It is a watercolor Debbie did of a red Bartlett pear. Debbie is out somewhere painting right now. I said to her this morning that I thought the pear worked because it was a painting of the pear and not just a painting. My point was that, when she did it, she was more engaged with the pear than she was with making a painting. My further point is that the creation of art has to do primarily with apprehension of the world and what is in the world and only secondarily with the creation of an art object, poem, etc. Comments, please.

2 comments:

  1. Art is at its best when it makes us see what is not there, and we recognize the truth of it.

    This pear caught my eye. It's not a perfect representation, but it doesn't have to be. It encapsulates pearness, and I appreciate it for what it is. I can appreciate as well the colors, and how well they work together. I can admire its effectiveness.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill,
    That is it, precisely. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete