Sunday, February 21, 2010

Endgame ...

... Coming to terms with the final chapter. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

''If I knew that I could die at any time I wanted then suddenly every day would be as precious as a million pounds. If I knew that I could die, I would live. My life, my death, my choice.''
They were dignified, considered words. Even so, Pratchett expected all hell to break loose. To his surprise, it didn't. ''Some archbishops have said nasty things but I look on that as a plus,'' he says, lucidly and softly.

Well, the Archbishop of Canterbury did come out against revising the legal system in favor of assisted suicide, but he didn't strike me as having been nasty about it. Be that as it may, it seems that Pratchett ought to be able to exit in whatever way he wants. He may have religious convictions -- I don't know -- but whatever they may be, they evidently do not constrain him from committing suicide.
The problem, of course, has to do with those who provide assistance to those who do not in fact want it just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment