Friday, May 07, 2010

Beauty ...

One morning, when I was about 16 or 17, I was listening to the late, great WFLN-FM, as I did every morning. The program was titled Morning Potpourri and was hosted by the late, great Frank Kastner, one of the best announcers radio has ever had. It was a gray, misty morning, I think in early spring. I remember that it was misty and gray precisely because of what Kastner played, something I had never heard before, "Bailero" from Canteloube's Songs of the Auvergne (sung by the great Madeleine Grey. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard and every time I hear it I am back on that day so many years ago. Listening to it always reacquaints with the self I once was and made so little of. Here it is for you delectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment