Wednesday, January 11, 2012

On your mark ...

... AbeBooks: What We Talk About When We Talk About Running Books.

I am not a runner. Once, when I was young, I could run pretty fast -- or so it seemed to me. Then I ran against a friend one day, just for the hell of it, but he was a trained runner. The difference was astounding. He obviously had no difficulty keeping up with me -- nor I with him, if truth be told. But as we neared the finish line, he seemed to shift gears, and move into a degree of running that was not within my experience. I was a good, natural runner. He had gone beyond that. On the other hand, at my best, I can walk, at a good pace, indefinitely.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy running, but don't read about it much. Of the books listed, I have read "The Loneliness"--probably before I took up running.

    ReplyDelete