Monday, June 09, 2014

Hmm …

… Overcoming Bias : Don’t Be “Rationalist”. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)



I don't think this way. I do not consider myself a rationalist, because I think of rationalism as the notion that reason is the principal vehicle for arriving at truth, and I do not believe that. I think that reason is one of several tools at our for disposal for arriving at the truth. Far superior to reason, in my view, is imagination (which of course has a rational component).

The biases referred to here seem to be the necessary product of the interaction of observer and observed. That interaction is the dialectic we call reality. One endeavors to observe carefully and from as many angles as possible. And one endeavors to think clearly. Every now and then a corner of the veil is raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment