Friday, May 08, 2015

Facebook Skewing?

In 2011, progressive activist and author Eli Pariser told an unsettling story about the way that social networks could be skewing our view of the world. "I've always gone out of my way to meet conservatives," he said at a TED Talk. "And so I was surprised when I noticed one day that the conservatives had disappeared from my Facebook feed. And what it turned out was going on was that Facebook was looking at which links I clicked on, and it was noticing that, actually, I was clicking more on my liberal friends' links than on my conservative friends' links. And without consulting me about it, it had edited them out. They disappeared."
Pariser was talking about what he called the "filter bubble," a personalized shield that internet companies create to show us more of what we already like and less of what we don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment