Tuesday, February 09, 2016

The trouble with taxonomy …

… I Am Not a Kook - The New York Times. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)



I know Lionel, but am surprised to learn that she is a fellow libertarian. I happen to think that abortion is wrong, but I do not favor outlawing it. I also do not want to pay for it. I also don't support assisted suicide. But, as a Catholic, I learned in my ethics class in college that I am not obligated to take any extraordinary means to preserve my life (I am obligated to take ordinary means). When I learned that, I resolved not to take any extraordinary means to preserve my life. But, as Thomas Marshall, my favorite Vice-President, said when explaining his opposition to capital punishment, “I do not believe it rests in human hands to say when a life shall cease.”  I have had in my life an uncommon acquaintance with suicide. I think it is best avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment