Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Minority report …

Debbie and I went to see Manchester by the Sea this afternoon. Ran into some friends there as well. None of us liked it. Why Casey Affleck's johnny-one-note performance  has received the accolades it has is beyond me. George, the family friend (C.J. Wilson), is about the only interesting character in the film, but it's a tiny part (which is dumb, given that it is also pivotal). The rest are people one would never want to know. Just an awful movie. Don't buy the hype.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you should find it awful, Frank. I liked it on balance. Perhaps you found it too grim but I liked that the central character was finally able to eke out something of value from the grimness. I will share with you a fuller review in due course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I found it very good. I don't read fiction, or watch films, to find people I might like. Affleck's performance is exactly right for such a damaged, almost 'locked in' person. I also appreciated that the central character didn't really change or grow -- far more moving, and realistic, than conventional narrative expectations.

    ReplyDelete