Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Blather and bloviation …

… To Purify the Language of the Tribe – the AGNI blog. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

But think of automobile ads, just for one indicator. What is meant, say, by “Chevrolet, an American revolution”? Was it General Motors that impelled Washington across the Delaware in that cold, crucial winter? Or “Love– it’s what makes a Subaru a Subaru.” Did Dante drive an Outback? Or, astoundingly annoying, “Guts. Glory. Ram,” as though to own a pickup truck were an exaltation. There are myriad other examples in other domains, of course, but you see where I’m headed.
The historian Arnold Toynbee once said that "I can not think of any circumstances in which advertising would not be an evil." When I first encountered this, I thought it a bit of overkill. But now I am not so sure, and I say that knowing full well that I could myself have done quite well in the advertising business.

No comments:

Post a Comment