Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Hmm …

… A classical education can be surprisingly useless | Catholic Herald. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

The consequence was that we left school reasonably knowledgeable about classical history and literature but ignorant of pretty well everything else. I can testify that in my 10 years at boarding school I never once had a science lesson.
Well, I never attended boarding school, but I did have a classical education, as well as three courses in lab science. And actually, as Albert Jay Nock pointed out, that knowledge of classical history and literature does give one an experienced mind.

1 comment:

  1. It appears that this is about what a classical education did not do for Boris Johnson. There were plenty of many before him that a classical education did not make responsible; but then they got lost in the crowd of all the other men of their class who had the same training.

    ReplyDelete