Saturday, January 28, 2006

Not so fanatical after all ...

My daily tipster, Dave Lull, passes along this interview with Michael Behe, star witness on behalf of ID during the Dover school board trial. I interviewed Behe in 1998 and found him to be a perfectly reasonable fellow. I think that comes through in this interview as well. Here's a characteristic quote:

If science came up with a natural explanation for irreducible complexity, or one that fit with random mutation and natural selection, what would that do to ID?

In my mind, that would prove it wrong. At that point I could happily join some other Catholic scientists and believe that God set up the universe to unfold the way it does through apparently material means. If you propose a scientific argument, which is what ID is, it's always possible for it to be wrong. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment