Saturday, October 14, 2006

My colleague ...

... David Hiltbrand's column today is more than just (as usual) funny: Dave on Demand The hits don't keep coming.
There isn't anything exceptional about critics raving over shows that don't attract an audience. What is noteworthy, I think, is that newspapers continue to assume that their readers are as interested in TV as the people who run newspapers are. TV isn't the draw it was 20 or 30 years ago. People have others things to do. And the people who are in planted in front of the tube all day probably don't read the paper. The news business just hasn't caught on to any of this.

7 comments:

  1. I'm shocked -- shocked! -- to hear that newspapers miss out on cultural trends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If what you say is true, then I'm the exception to the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that mean you sit in front of the tube all day? I would find that hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, no. Not nearly all day. Not even close, but television is the new movies as far as I'm concerned. There's far more quality on TV these days than in theaters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting. I practically never watch TV - not out of snobbery, but because I don't have the time. I also enjoy reading more than watching TV or going to most movies. (I will, however, be watching Casanova on PBS tonight.) Do you, by the way, mean network TV or are you referring principally to cable?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both. I really thing its a renaissance period for television. 24, Lost, Sopranos, The Wire, Boston Legal. There are some real quality television programs. Quality writing, acting and production value.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, maybe I should carve out a bit of time and take some of them in.

    ReplyDelete