Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Today's ephemera.........

.........comes courtesy of The Writer's Almanac.
It's the birthday of writer Thomas Love Peacock, born in Weymoth, England (1785). His most successful novel was Nightmare Abbey (1818), but he became famous for an incident when he was an old man. In 1865, a fire broke out in his house one night. He retreated to his library and refused to leave, shouting, "By the immortal gods, I will not move!" The fire was extinguished and he was not hurt.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:35 PM

    And a fine example of ephemera, indeed. Great blog...very interesting and enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marty. Your blog is really a treat too. I'm grateful for your comment if only for its having directed me to Ephemera. I'm taking some long-deferred drawing lessons so I enjoyed the bit about the book, 200 Years of American Illustrations. I'm going to try to get a copy.
    Re the colonoscopy, I found the day before to be much worse than the day of. A little tip that's probably too late for you is try not to eat too much the 2nd day before. It makes that prep day much less uncomfortable. And that goes for all you other people who are reading this very personal comment.
    John B.

    ReplyDelete