Thursday, May 28, 2009

Inhabiting film ....

... Living, Though Not Sleeping With, Susan.

This was the time when AT&T, which legally owned your phone, would let you have one in any color as long as it was black. So tasteful people like Mark, or more likely the decorator he surely must have hired, bought colored plastic shells to fit over them. A large glass “window” decorated with Miro-like fi sh separates the apartment from the veranda. (When I was a kid growing up in dingy tenements in a small city in upstate New York, I would see places like this in movies and think, “That must be how real people live.”)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about this. Must be my sub-editor's instinct at work. But shouldn't that headline have the comma before 'with', not after?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Methinks you're right, Vikram. So you were a sub-editor, too (we call them copy editors over here). I was one myself. It's the only thing I ever got a journalism prize for.

    ReplyDelete