Friday, September 18, 2009

The big 300 ...

... for Dr. Johnson: `With This I Will Try to Be Content'. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)
“Boswell, with some of his troublesome kindness, has informed this family, and reminded me that the eighteenth of September is my birthday. The return of my birthday, if I remember it, fills me with thoughts which it seems to be the general care of humanity to escape. I can now look back upon threescore and four years, in which little has been done, and little has been enjoyed, a life diversified by misery, spent part in the sluggishness of penury, and part under the violence of pain, in gloomy discontent, or importunate distress. But perhaps I am better than I should have been, if I had been less afflicted. With this I will try to be content.”

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete