Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Second act ...

... John Calvin: Comeback Kid.
... according to Calvin, only by seeing ourselves as we really are, in our utter perversity and alienation, can we enter fully into salvation's benefits. A serious doctrine of original sin calls for a radical doctrine of redemptive grace.
Ah, but there's the rub. The doctrine of total depravity is what distinguishes Calvinism from Catholicism. Catholics do not think that original sin adversely affected man's fundamental nature. Because of original sin, we have a propensity to sin, but the nature of our being has not been rendered sinful.
I maintain further that Captain Ahab is the ultimate Calvinist: "Ahab is for ever Ahab, man. This whole act's immutably decreed. 'Twas rehearsed by thee and me a billion years before this ocean rolled. Fool! I am the Fates' lieutenant; I act under orders." Any discussion of Calvin and predestination ought to address this.
By the way, many years ago I did read a bit of Calvin's Institutes. I was very impressed by the clarity and grace of his prose.

4 comments:

  1. Original sin--that would be a major disagreement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the disagreement would be over the doctrine of original sin, to which I subscribe, but over the doctrine of total depravity, to which I do not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry. I mistyped. Total depravity is what I meant and heartily endorse. All five of the points of Calvinism are fundamental to my worldview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I guess that's the difference between a true Reformation Protestant and a Chaucerian Catholic like me. You should elaborate, though, in a post at Brandywine Books. I'd be very interested.

    ReplyDelete