Thursday, March 29, 2012

OTT you say...

Commenting on Jesse's post, Dave abbreviated "For What It's Worth" to FWIW. That set my (mostly idle) mind racing. So here is a list of common phrasal abbreviations. Can you figure them out (presented in no order of difficulty)?

BTW (there I did it myself) these are phrases incomplete in themselves. In other words, they are NOT proverbs.

Get cracking. Good Luck!

1. HST
2. OUAT
3. ISOT
4. IIMO... (this is followed by a question)
5. ITNEFY
6. TWW (Hint: sentence beginner when referencing the past)
7. OTW
8. WTFO
9. WOTS
10. FTLT

PS The headline is "Over-the-top you say"!!

Update: Changing the timestamp to bring the blog post up


Update 2: Answers:


Hmph! such poor response. Many thanks to Danish Dog for answering
Here are the answers:


1. HST = Having Said That
2. OUAT =Once Upon A Time
3. ISOT = In Spite of This
4. IIMO = Is It Me Or...
5. ITNEFY = If that's not enough for you
6. TWW = Time Was When
7. OTW = On the Whole
8. WTFO = Whatever the final outcome
9. WOTS = While on the subject
10. FTLT = For the longest time



6 comments:

  1. 1. HST Having said that
    2. OUAT Once upon a time
    3. ISOT In search of truth
    4. IIMO Is it my opinion
    5. ITNEFY If this never even finds you
    6. TWW This was when
    7. OTW Otherwise
    8. WTFO What the fuck? Over.
    9. WOTS Word on the street
    10. FTLT For the last time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good try Danish Dog! Well those are perfectly legit answer but I had something else in mind for some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shouldn't throw these at us first thing in the morning. Makes our heads spin here on the West Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about these a while, but couldn't figure them out. And I thought I knew this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha, Cynthia and Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I borrow this for my blog?

    ReplyDelete