Monday, April 29, 2013

How about beyond teaching …

… Beyond Critical Thinking | The American Conservative. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

My wife is a retired teacher. I am who I am in large measure because of some great teachers I had. I even did a stint of teaching once, so I know how hard it is to do. But teaching not is the be-all and end-all of education. It is one essential component. A good teacher draws out of the student (ex ducere) capacities and understanding the student was either unaware of or not sure how to handle. A good teacher helps a student to learn how to explore the contents of his consciousness. But not everything should be made int a subject to be taught. The quality of education has certainly not improved thanks to people getting doctorates in it. That simply professionalized it.

No comments:

Post a Comment