Monday, April 20, 2015

The art of the book review …

… What is Sensed and Felt - Daniel Green's The Reading Experience. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Reckoning with literary qualities is something Winters does exceptionally well. Most of the books discussed in the first section of Infinite Fictions ("On Literature") are complex, unconventional works of fiction, and Winters is painstaking in attempting to describe the strategies the author at hand seems to be using, to account for the effect of reading the work as registered in Winters's own experience of it. As he says in the introduction to the book, "As a reviewer, all I can do is try to stay true to the texture of that experience. . .Strange as it sounds, each of these books briefly allowed me to subtract myself from reality. In this respect, when writing reviews, I'm less intent on making prescriptions than on exploring the space left by my subtraction." Thus Winters attends to the specificity of the reading experience itself, something academic criticism generally abjures, while also avoiding the superficial approach of the most "trivial" kind of book reviews, the kind that aim merely to "make prescriptions."

1 comment:

  1. This sounds less like reviewing than reader-response criticism; although I am guilty of the former, I would rather be accused of performing the latter. Alas, my guilt dominates.

    ReplyDelete