Sunday, November 01, 2015

Hear, hear …

… Letter to the Catholic Academy - NYTimes.com.

… we come to the third argument, which makes an appearance in your letter: You don’t understand, you’re not a theologian. As indeed I am not. But neither is Catholicism supposed to be an esoteric religion, its teachings accessible only to academic adepts. And the impression left by this moving target, I’m afraid, is that some reformers are downplaying their real position in the hopes of bringing conservatives gradually along.
The letter Douthat refers to was a piece of crap. I do not have to have a degree in theology in order to qualify as a Catholic. My qualifications were established 74 years ago when I was baptized. As far as I'm concerned, the theologians who signed the letter can take their degrees and shove them. Especially since said degrees don't seem to have done squat for their understanding of the faith, except to bring them to the brink of, yes, heresy. (By the way, I did study theology for four years at a Jesuit college. So I am far from being theologically illiterate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment