Thursday, August 20, 2020

Popular dogmatism …

… Hypocrite hector by Anthony Daniels | The New Criterion. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Of the two books, Kendi’s is slightly the better, for it is part-memoir and occasionally has an anecdote from his life that is not told wholly through the lens of ideology, and which actually does speak to the undoubted difficulties of blacks in America with which it is easy to sympathize.
 DiAngelo’s book displays a curious admixture of influences: the Chinese Cultural Revolution, Jimmy Swaggart, Freudian psychoanalysis, and Uriah Heep, the four of them being present in approximately equal proportion.
I wonder how many people get the literary reference in this review’s title.

4 comments:

  1. I don't subscribe to The New Criterion, but I should imagine that a fair proportion of the subscribers do get the allusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you do, George. But let’s not let on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you, do you realise how insufferable this form of boasting is? Well, I for one am happy to let on that I'm not sure I get the allusion, unless it's to Shakespeare's Hector (and the armour incident).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note: my knowledge of the Aeneid is admittedly sketchy at best.

    ReplyDelete