Friday, October 21, 2022

Sadly true …

… The Present Desolation - The Catholic Thing.
… those who do look to the Church now look through time. The latest encyclical from the latest pope has not much influence or authority. It is unlikely to receive as much publicity as the opinion of the Magisterium in times past.


It is always useful to recall some wise words of Hilaire Belloc: "The Catholic Church is an institution I am bound to hold divine — but for unbelievers a proof of its divinity might be found in the fact that no merely human institution conducted with such knavish imbecility would have lasted a fortnight."

I remind myself regularly that heard of the Church remains Jesus. The Pipe is only an administrative stand-in. I attend Mass, receive the sacraments, etc., and I pray, meditate. and try my best to live accordingly.I care little about the institutional Church. How, in so short a time, we could have from Pope St John Paul II to the current occupant of the Papal throne is a mystery to me, but I fear a telling one.

No comments:

Post a Comment