Thursday, June 15, 2006

Look what's hatched ...

... over at Bud Bloom Poetry: The Poet in the Egg . As an unapologetic eudaemonist I must demur slightly regarding the notion that "the poet goes from suffering or indignation to writing poetry ..." The poet may do that of course, but I think poems are as likely to be derived from joy as from suffering. (Interesting that Assagioli shoul cite Heine. So much of depth psychology is grounded in German Romanticism.) As readers of this blog will know I am largely unimpressed by the "suffering artist" myth.

2 comments:

  1. Frank, I'd best note the date. We're actually in agreement on something.

    I'm sure that there are as many reasons for writing poetry as there are poets - probably more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have we actually disagreed that much Lee. I seem to recall we both would like to see sick people get medical care, though we can figure out exactly how to go about that - but then, neither can anybody else.

    ReplyDelete