Friday, June 20, 2008

What a crock ...

... Michael Nyman's acceptance of a CBE was a betrayal.

"A few weeks earlier the great Humphrey Lyttelton, who came from an aristocratic family, went to his grave without title, having turned down an honour from John Major’s Government. Lyttelton liked the motto “Unto thine own self be true”, carved above the stage of the Conway Hall in London, the venue of his legendary Humph at the Conway album."

"To thine own self be true" is Polonius' advice to Laertes in Hamlet. Problem is, Polonius is a sententious old fool. After all, there may be things greater than oneself to be true to.

I interviewed Michael Nyman once, prior to the premiere of his piece HRT, which was commissioned by Philly's Relache ensemble. I found him quite engaging. And I like his string quartets.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:22 PM

    Whatever one may think about Michael Nyman, and I have heard an unflattering story about him, that article is indeed, a crock (I thought this when I read it in the paper edition, so just goes to show, "great minds").

    ReplyDelete