Monday, September 08, 2008

Isn't there a problem, though?

... Last Call, Bohemia. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

The problem is that the West Village is no longer a Bohemia except in memory. It no longer provides dirt-cheap lodgings for artists, hasn't for years, and is unlikely to ever again. That's why artists from New York are moving to places like Philadelphia's Kensington section. I fear they may also be moving to my neighborhood. Good for the real estate values, but not so good in other respects. I prefer the immigrants from Mexico, Asia and elsewhere.

5 comments:

  1. So what are the "other respects"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll keep those in petto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, Frank. Pretty much the reason I keep away from writers conferences, festivals, and workshops. There are too many, well, writers. Particularly middle class writers.

    I hope you're better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:48 AM

    Northern Liberties, on Kensington's edge, seems quite a draw now in Phila. Those cheap former warehouse bldgs. As for NYC, I still love the Village, no matter how it's changed. I still see it as Jane Jacob did, and the residents still seem to experience it that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hitchens forgot to close his rambler's door, the one he opened at Muriel's entrance. Surprised he got away with it, given GC's standards; but, the last sentence, despite what Hitchens writes, really ought to have read:

    "How much would you like to bet on that, Mrs. O'Toole?"

    Talese would most certainly agree with me.

    ReplyDelete