Wednesday, September 24, 2008

But we knew that ...

... that "poetry is higher than Logic, and that the union of the two is Philosophy."
from THE EARLIER LETTERS OF JOHN STUART MILL. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

See Letter to Thomas Carlyle dated 5th July 1833: "I am not in the least a poet, in any sense; but I can do homage to poetry. I can to a very considerable extent feel it and understand it, and can make others who are my inferiors understand it in proportion to the measure of their capacity. I believe that such a person is more wanted than even the poet himself; that there are more persons living who approximate to the latter character than to the former. I do not think myself at all fit for the one; I do for the other; your walk I conceive to be the higher."

No comments:

Post a Comment