Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hmm ...

... The Medium Is the Medium. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

What matters is the way people think about themselves while engaged in the two activities. A person who becomes a citizen of the literary world enters a hierarchical universe. There are classic works of literature at the top and beach reading at the bottom.

A person enters this world as a novice, and slowly studies the works of great writers and scholars. Readers immerse themselves in deep, alternative worlds and hope to gain some lasting wisdom. Respect is paid to the writers who transmit that wisdom.


Would this change if one read the book on a Kindle?


1 comment:

  1. I think Brooks makes some good points, although I disagree that the literary world is as inherently hierarchical as he suggests. It sure never seems that way to me—which may be what all the literary fighting is about. LOL I do know that canon-makers (such as Harold Bloom) would LIKE it to be more hierarchic than it is in practice.

    Anyway, I do think Brooks' point about how students come to think of themselves as readers rather than just classroom-readers is a very good one. I've seen that in operation myself, among my younger friends. Changing one's attitude about one's self and one's abilities is profound.

    ReplyDelete