Friday, May 30, 2008

Never good ...

... The Condition of Muzak.

I do not have the emotional connection with pop music that so many people younger than I seem to have. I like it, and I can vividly remember the Sunday afternoon when I first heard Elvis Presley singing "Heartbreak Hotel" over the radio. I even remember coming home from high school one afternoon and turning on the TV to watch Bandstand - broadcast from right here in Philadelphia - and hearing that Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper had been killed in a plane crash. Why, it was the day the music died - though none of us knew that at the time. Next day, my buddies and I were exchanging the usual sick jokes about it (we were a coarse lot).
Now the Sunday afternoon I first really listened to Debussy's Nuages - that was as near to satori as I have come.

No comments:

Post a Comment