Friday, June 20, 2008

Circuses and revolution ...

... well, they both go round and round: Dr. Dalrymple's lastest global warning.

I actually enjoy going to a ball game from time to time - just as I like playing the ponies from time to time. But I do find the intensity of some fans peculiar. Sometime last year I was in a cab and the radio was tuned to one of the local sports radio stations. I was amazed at the minutiae the callers were discussing. I was equally amazed that anyone would want to listen to this stuff. But then I'm amazed that people want to listen to talk radio, period, whatever the topic.
I'm not sure if all roads do lead to resentment, but all roads certainly can. Were I writer of fiction, I could, I am sure, cast my upbringing in the most Dickensian of shadows. Which is only to say that I've had my share of bad breaks, too. In fact, I look back on my childhood as unwontedly pleasant. For whatever reason, setbacks don't set me back very much. I think it's because I don't like to feel bad, so when I do, I fish around for something to distract me and, if possible, cheer me up. I also don't tend to get exercised about things over which I have little or no control.
Nobody gets out of here alive, but with some luck and some prudence you may be able get out relatively unscathed.

No comments:

Post a Comment