Sunday, November 23, 2008

Good for him ...

... Dear Whole Foods: We're through. It's not me. It's you.

Right up the street from me, at D'Angelo Bros., I get fabulous meat and game at nowhere near the prices Whole Foods gouging out of its customers. That's where the Bourbon Red turkey will be coming from for Thanksgiving.
I do a little shopping at Whole Foods, mostly for the grass-fed milk and sometimes the bread. Forget the cheese. DiBruno Bros is also up the street. I don't know anything about Neal's Yard cheddar, but I got some great Lincolnshire Poacher the other day. It's only $26 a pound.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Neal's Yard is pretty good for cheese (famous for it), as well as lots of other organic produce. When I did my postdoc I used to work just round the corner from it (Neal's Yard)- it is in Covent Garden. It was the first main maker and seller of such produce in London, way before it became so fashionable.
    It's a larger brand, now - you see "Neal's Yards" in quite a few places - including allegedly Kingston where I live, but I have not checked it out as I buy all my food on the Internet. (Less heavy to carry home ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new organic store just opened in my small town. They're still a bit expensive, but everything is locally produced, some of it's sublimely good, and I don't have to drive 50 miles to get to Whole Foods. There are a few things I will still buy at Whole Foods, that I can't get anywhere else. I have special dietary needs and have had to go completely gluten-free. But I can get most of what I need in my small town or the slightly larger town next door, which has a big local grocery that has two aisles of gluten-free and organic. And that's only 11 miles away.

    People are catching on to the good stuff. If Whole Foods realizes that they can't price gouge much longer, that's all to the good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:47 AM

    Frank, you are lucky enough to live in the Italian Market. Us poor souls in the 'burbs can't do better than WF -- there are no other choices!

    ReplyDelete