Saturday, November 22, 2008

Good luck ...

... Philadelphia paper starts magazine for affluent. (Hat tip, Paul Davis.)

I think such a publication aimed at those who attend theater, opera, the orchestra - and those who read something besides the racing form - would prove to be a great success. Back in the day, the now-defunct radio station WFLN turned a handsome profit broadcasting classical music - a marketing survey in the late '50s indicated its audience, while hardly as large as that tuning in to the rock stations, did represent one-third of the buying power of the entire Delaware Valley. Of course, you have to remember that the people who actually manage newsrooms tend not to be able to distinguish Brahms from Anouilh or Giorgio Morandi. Still, if anyone can make a success of I, it is Sandy Clarke, whom I have known since she was an intern - so I know who I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment