Sunday, May 17, 2009

No Luddite he ...

... Break free of this world wide delusion. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

It is the cultists who threaten the web. They are the ones encouraging dreams of a utopia of the self.

Indeed. I haven't got involved with Twitter or Facebook or other such things. I've always been the standoffish type who watches what's going on from a safe distance. The web has always seemed to me a kind of enhanced phone line. Still, I think the flip side of the cult of the self Bryan has correctly warns about is the connection that can be made with so many kindred spirits around the world. But for the internet I would not have come to know Dave and Judith and Nige and Maxine - and Bryan himself, to mention only a few. This ability of individuals to connect with others globally has a potential I don't think of any of us can yet fathom.

No comments:

Post a Comment