Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Joycean joys...

...Nilanjana S Roy: The happiest Bloomsday ever

I was bowled over by this piece. Much has been written about Bloomsday this year and the years past but I have never read a piece that does not gratuitously stress on what a tough read Ulysses is. Roy's love for the book shines through here. Her writing, as always, is a delight (eg "The first school spawned a rash of writers who turned out passages of the “Thrash, kick, bite. Thrash, kick, slap” sort under the impression that they were being Joycean. Which is a little dangerous, like assuming you bought madeleines at the bakery and can now write like Proust.")

Time I shed my ill-founded fears of the book and dipped myself in the ne plus ultra of one of modernism's finest practitioners.

No comments:

Post a Comment