Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Historical Jesus, and other Biblical Resources ...

Video and audio of leading scholars such as James D.G. Dunn, Sean Frayne, John P. Meier, Albert Schweitzer (!), Gaza Vermes.  And the less scholarly like John Dominic Crossan.  At Biblical Studies Online here

I read John P. Meier's A Marginal Jew, Vol. I, years ago ('92?) soon after it came out.  It was in the local Borders (that was a bookstore chain for those of a more recent age.  No iPads back then.  No Amazon yet either.)

I picked it up because I was going on a suddenly scheduled trip, and it's over 700 pages with copious footnotes.  I read every single page, even the footnotes, over the next month or so because Meier introduced me to a level of honest, intelligent research that was outside of anything I had encountered in the religious world up till then.  Meier's book received the imprimatur of the Church as well, he is a RC priest and now a professor at Notre Dame, and has released four volumes over the past 20 years in his Marginal Jew accomplishment, with a fifth and final coming so. 

The site has Meier and the others lecturing on various Historical Jesus topics, as well as more general Biblical study resources, listed on the home page here, and really seems to be one of those marvelous things that the Internet makes possible.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment