Tuesday, December 15, 2020

In case you wondered …

 … and some obviously do:  Who should be called Dr? Probably not Jill Biden. Just as lawyers like me aren’t. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

I suppose the titling business is more important to some people these days because the title has become more important than the education it is supposed to reflect. Given the nonsense taking place in higher education larely, I am not inclined to reflexively respect anyone just because he can attach some letters to his name. Years ago, at my house in Germantown, we frequently had parties with lots of people who had doctorates and were professors (some were M.D.’s). I don’t remember any of them introducing themselves or being introduced with anything other than their given names. Should I run into some Ph.D. who insists upon being called doctor I can assure you I won’t be impressed. Quite the contrary.

I should also point out that my previous post was a link to an article in the Babylon Bee, a satire site.  

No comments:

Post a Comment