Monday, October 10, 2022

Shrewd comparison …

 … ‘Different Speeds, Same Furies’ Review: Of Proust and Powell. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

As a reader who has come to an appreciation of Powell’s “Dance” that sometimes verges on love, immersion in that work has led me to effect a renewed acquaintance with Proust’s novel, rather than tempting me to dismiss or downgrade it. It is Perry Anderson’s achievement that stimulated me to have another go at Proust, even while his original criticism of Anthony Powell was instrumental in provoking yet one more reading of “A Dance to the Music of Time.”

The first book I ever reviewed for The Inquirer was the last volume  of "A Dance to the Music of Time." Being a dutiful sort, I read all the previous volumes first. I have been a fan ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment