Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Hmm ...

Over at Crime Fiction Dossier, David Montgomery ponders an important question: Can you trust book reviews?.
I certainly know what he means about having second thoughts later on, especially since the review column I write is specifically designed to recommend books. I recommended Ian McEwan's Saturday, but found I liked the book less and less the more I thought about it after the review appeared. I still think it's worth reading, because there's something interesting about it. I just don't think it's that good.
I can name, off the top of my head, one book that I reviewed this year that continues to resonate in my mind: William Nicholson's The Society of Others.
As for book blurbs, I too can think of at least one comment of mine that was not meant favorably but was edited to appear as such on the paperback edition of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment