Saturday, April 08, 2006

About last evening ...

... I had a very satisfying time at Penn State Delaware County, where I was the keynote speaker at the Undergrad English Conference . Students, faculty and administrators were all impressive. The media may only pay attention to the sports or the occasional PC kerfuffle, but the real story on campuses has to do with committed teachers and enthusiastic students working together to what amounts to preserving civilization.

The point of my little talk was simply that English majors, through the study of literature, "acquire four very valuable skills: the ability to observe and appreciate life on its own terms; insight into human character; the ability to differentiate between sound information and unsound information; and the ability to express himself or herself clearly and persuasively."
Such skills enable one to undertake just about any task and, in this so-called information age, we need people with such skills more than we ever have.

3 comments:

  1. If only employers appreciated us (or at least THIS) English majors as you do, Frank! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:52 PM

    Hi Mr. Wilson,

    As an English major attending Penn State Delco, I'd like to thank you for taking part in our conference on Friday night.

    Your speech was really the highlight of the evening. As far as I am concerned, your four skills to be acquired by every Englih major are not only skills that I hope to procure before I graduate in the fall, but ones I hope to polish as I enter into the workforce as well.

    Thanks again for sharing your inspiring words with us!

    Pam Przybylski

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Pam. I was pretty inspired myself - by both students and faculty. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete