Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter ...

... and once again, blogging will be light because, well, it's Easter and we have guests coming for dinner; I have some cooking to do, and I haven't finished the garden work. Also, it's good to take a breather from blogging and reading and writing. The result, I hope, will be mo' better blogging starting tomorrow.

In the meantime here are Sunday's Inquirer reviews.
One especially worth noting isn't exactly a review. It's this essay by Roger Miller: Getting his '71/2 Cents' worth

Here are the rest:

Black Swan Green, by David Mitchell: Sensitive, suffering boyhood: A tour de force

John Freeman talks with David Mitchell: The author on stammering, his rules for fiction, and disregarding readers

The Judgment of Paris: The Revolutionary Decade That Gave the World Impressionism, by Ross King: Intriguing story of 1860s art wars

Some Fun, by Antonya Nelson: A masterful reassembly of lives left in pieces

Audio Books: The baffling and lovely novel with the intriguing cover

If I do say so myself, I think this is a particularly nice mix. I feel about it the way an impresario might.

By the way, those in the Philly area should know that David Mitchell will appear at the Central Library of the Free Library of Philadelphia, 1901 Vine St., tomorrow night - Monday, April 17 - at 7. Free. 215-567-4341.
Also Ross King will be there Thursday at 8. That one's not free. Tickets are $12, $8 and $6. Phone 215-567-4341.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Frank,

    With apologies to Mr. Handel, I was singing at Easter service today ... details on my blog.

    Ditto for me on the cooking, later today ... but no gardening ... too dang hot, with temp's approaching 100!

    Happy Easter to you and yours!

    "He is risen ... Christ is risen, indeed ..." Alleluia, Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I trust you had a blessed and happy Resurrection Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did, Bonnie, and I hope you did as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete