Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Work release ...

I was allowed to leave the Philadelphia Prison Complex and return to work this afternoon. Quite an enlightening experience. Sad, but not without hope, thanks to people like Bill Chaney, the head of volunteer services, who gave Debbie and me the tour. Met with some inmates who had learned how to repair computers - they each get one at the end of the course, too. They were proud of what they had accomplished - and one of them, Robert Wallace was his name, if I remember rightly, was very eloquent when he spoke of the program.
But we heard some sad stories as well. I certainly got a sense of appreciation for the books I send there. And I'd like to go back again and get to know some of the people better.

1 comment:

  1. You're a very busy man and it is so wonderful that you give of yourself in this manner. God bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete