Thursday, January 16, 2014

Just a thought …

We are said to be made in the image and likeness of God. But God has no image to make a likeness of. And yet …. 
The essence of a thing is that which makes it what it is. But what makes this particular thing what it is in particular is precisely what it does not have in common with anything else. The deeper one looks into oneself, the more elusive our self becomes. The mystery of the self opens onto the mystery of God. 

This can perhaps serve as an oblique answer to the questions posed here: My quest continues, and a 2nd century gnostic offers a challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Your comment intrigues me. If I can find the time and the appropriate sources, I wonder how ancient rabbis interpreted the "image" concept in the creation narrative(s). A lot gets lost and confused in translations. Perhaps the original Hebrew and early explicators hold the keys. I shall be looking further.

    ReplyDelete