Friday, January 10, 2014

Two for the road …

… Why Do We Love Drunk Writers?

 WRITERS AND RUM.


(Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

As someone who did more than his share of drinking for several decades, I think I can say that there really is nothing mysterious about habitual arm-bending. Some people like to drink. The more you drink, the more you can drink, since you build up a tolerance for the stuff. There's a certain level of drunkenness that is quite pleasant, and if you're skillful, you can maintain that for quite some time without undue ill effects afterwards. True, it is likely, eventually, to wear you down, and giving it up can be almost as wrenching as a divorce, maybe more wrenching. If, in the long run, you can't do that, you lose.

1 comment:

  1. Once upon a time, when I had won several self-appointed international awards for hard-drinking around the world during 25 years in the U.S. Navy, I had convinced myself there was nothing that I could not do better without plenty of drinking. That included writing, thinking, loving, driving, and living. I was fortunate enough to learn finally that I was wrong about that notion. Now, taking life one day at a time, I am amazed that I still live and breathe. Ain't life wonderful!

    ReplyDelete