Saturday, March 25, 2006

"A foolish consistency ...

... is the hobgoblin of little minds," Emerson wrote. Whitman obviously agreed:

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

This, it seems to me, is the key signature of the American theme. Which is why I think there's something to this Erik Baard piece at TCS Daily: Scraps of God and Darwin. I'm certainly on the same page with Francis Collins when he says that ID theory limits God.

In the Chinese translation of the Bible, the beginning of John's Gospel goes like this: "In the beginning was the Tao and the Tao was with God and the Tao was God." Tao and Logos are, in fact, remarkably compatible concepts.
I have always had a warm spot in my heart for Taoism, and iIf I were not a Catholic, I would want to be a Taoist. Now I discover it may be possible to be both: Christ the Eternal Tao.

No comments:

Post a Comment