Thursday, July 12, 2007

Idle musings redux

Well, thanks to one and all for your thoughtful and well-argued responses to my faux Christopher Hitchens lunch piece below.
I wasn't so much trying to show that sacred music proves the existence of God as it was to provoke some discussion which you provided in spades, diamonds, hearts and clubs. I was merely - and here I'm echoing Andrew's and Rus's comments, I guess - trying to compare the transcendent experiences of art and religion. However, I gotta say I don't think those experiences provide as much of what modern bureaucrats might call `plausible deniability' as the Santa Claus analogy.
By the way, are you implying that Santa doesn't exist, Rus? Then whose lap, each December, have I been sitting in all these years? I rest my case, you honor.

4 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    It just occurred to me, that if Santa Claus does not exists, then some crazy conspiracy theory lasting centuries, and involving millions of parents and hundreds of social institutions, has to be entertained. I don't know now.

    Yours,
    Rus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:52 PM

    Rus, casting doubt on Santa? Shame on you!

    Look, all you have to do is close your eyes and wish for it to be true and it WILL BE. You have to BELIEVE. Don't worry about the proven fraudulent aspects dominating the entire story. Not everything is meant to be taken literally, you know ... just like the Bible. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, and if you don't want to believe something, you can just close your eyes and hope it goes away. It's good to see you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:36 PM

    Good to see you too. It's true, I've closed my eyes and Thor, Poseidon and Odin, to name a few, have all gone away. Wish the same technique would work on the Tax Inspectors.

    ReplyDelete