Thursday, October 23, 2008

Our best friends ...

... the Great Thinkers. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

I have lately started every morning by reading a little from Augustine's Confessions. Book X is extraordinary. Here is a sample:
What is my nature? A life that is ever varying, full of change, and of immense power. The wide plains of my memory and its innumerable caverns and hollows are full beyond compute of countless things of all kinds. Material things are there by means of their images; knowledge is there of itself; emotions are there in the form of ideas or impressions of some kind, for the memory retains them even while the mind does not experience them, although whatever is in memory must also be in the mind. My mind has the freedom of them all. I can glide from one to the other. I can probe deep into them and never find the end of them. This is the power of memory! This is the great force of life in living man, mortal though he is!

No comments:

Post a Comment