Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Noble catastrophe ...

... Another Kind of Atheism. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

The post links to this interview with Woody Allen, which I think is fascinating: Whatever Works.

I have recently had moments of the sort of terror Allen speaks of, which is somewhat odd, because the possibility that life may be meaningless has never especially bothered me. If I knew for sure that were so, I wouldn't be happy about it, but I coul live with it. But, as it happens, faith for me has always been just what felt right. And that is what has enabled me, as Newman put it, to bear doubt. But lately, at times, the doubt has been nearly unbearable. My reaction has been to stare as hard as I can at the darkness. So far, always, a sense of affirmation has arisen in me, feeble perhaps, but no less real for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment