Sunday, August 29, 2021

Hmm …

Update on How the Philly Inquirer’s ‘Woke’ Newsroom Mission is Going.

As these generational battles between older liberals and younger ones in U.S. newsrooms continue to take root, a key point to keep in mind is that while it’s not necessarily wrong to want a diverse newsroom, what is wrong is when calls for diversity are used as launching points to do they very thing white editors and managers are accused of doing: silencing voices for daring to engage in WrongThink.

I was known to be quite politically incorrect when I worked at The Inquirer (once, a colleague hearing me arguing that something was offensive and should not go in the paper, exclaimed, “If Frank thinks it shouldn’t go in the paper, I don’t even want to look at it. Get it out.”). I would not have written nor approved of the Buildings Matter, Too because you don’t pun on hot-wire issues. It’s dumb. But so is Wokeness. It’s white folks preening. 

Most people I run into can’t stand the paper anymore, and I am told circulation figures reflect this.

No comments:

Post a Comment