Sunday, June 01, 2008

Amen, amen ...

... The Blogger’s Lament. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

I have been trying to discipline myself to blog for only a certain amount of time every day. It is so easy - and so distracting - for one link to lead to another. I also want to have some time to develop some thoughts of my own - and I have, surprisingly enough, quite a few deadlines to meet. Also, Debbie is in flight from Athens and I figure, if I'm lucky (or maybe if I'm not), I have perhaps two decades left on this plane of being. So I actually want to spend as much time as I can savoring the joys of life. Perhaps the best way to judge the value of what you're doing is to ask whether you are doing it simply because you like it, or love it - and not because it can do anything for you or your bank account.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:27 AM

    Couldn't agree more, Frank. It isn't so much the time that we have, it is what we do with it that counts. (Probably a slight misquote of Tolkien, but the drift is right.)
    Blogging/exploring links can certainly be distracting, I agree, one needs a balance between this kind of pleasurable interactive activity and deeper reading (and other things).

    ReplyDelete